Canning Peaches 101
Enjoy the fresh taste of local peaches all year long!
Kathy Manley Recipe – Makes approximately 8 quarts
- Boiling Water Canner
- Eight (8) quart Jars
- Eight (8) Lids and Screw Bands
- Rubber Spatula
- Jar Lifter
- Lid Wand
- Large Pot (for blanching peaches)
- Small Pot (for keeping lids warm)
- Measuring Spoons
- Damp Cloth
STEP 1: Before You Begin Canning
CLEAN jars and lids – wash jars, lids and screw bands in hot soapy water. Rinse well and drain. Not necessary to dry. Inspect jars for nicks, cracks and chips.
HEAT JARS – place rack in the bottom of canner, then place the required number of jars on the rack. Add water to the jars and canner until the jars are two-thirds full. Cover the canner and bring the water to a simmer over medium heat. Not necessary to boil jars. Heat processing destroys any microorganisms.
PREPARE THE LIDS – Set screw bands aside – they do not require heating. Place the lids in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a simmer. Do not boil. Keep lids hot until ready to use.
STEP 2: Ingredients
- Peaches, 1 hand basket (8 quarts)
- Sugar, 4 ½ cups
- Water, 11 cups
- Use fresh, firm peaches
- Wash and drain
STEP 3: Simple syrup
Once peaches are packed in jars, ladle in hot simple syrup – enough to cover the fruit. I like to use light syrup made up of 4 ½ cups of sugar with 11 cups of water. Combine in a sauce pan, bring to a boil, and turn down to a simmer.
STEP 4: Canned Peaches Instructions
- Submerge peaches in boiling water for about 30 seconds to loosen the skins
- Remove skin, cut in half and remove pit
- Place peaches in jars, cut side down. Ladle in hot simple syrup, enough to cover peaches but leave ½ inch of headspace.
- Run rubber spatula between peaches and jar to release air bubbles.
- Wipe top and threads of jar with damp cloth. Put on lid and screw down band evenly and tightly.
- As each jar is filled, stand it on rack in canner of hot, not boiling water. When rack is full, lower into canner. Water should cover jars 1 to 2 inches.
- Put cover on canner. Bring to a boil and process pints for 25 min (quarts for 30 min), at a gentle but steady boil.
- After processing time is complete, turn off heat and remove canner lid. Let canner cool for 5 minutes before removing jars.
- Remove jars from canner. Let cool for 12 to 24 hours before checking seal. Remove bands. Test for seal by pressing center of lid. If dome is down or stays down when pressed, jar is sealed.