Here at the Co-op we are making sustainability a priority! From the construction of our building(s) to the products we line our aisles with there is always a focus on our impact on the environment. We could go on and on touting the incredible things our farmers, producers, and vendors do to help save the world but for this Earth Day we are keeping it simple. So simple, in fact, that you may not even think about these things when shopping with us. We’re talking about our packaging and containers.
Here are some of the sustainable features you can find in the packaging around the Co-op!
- The Co+op Grocery Bags are FSC-Certified (Forest Stewardship Council) and made from 100% recycled materials, starch-based adhesives and water-based inks, making them compostable.
- Reusable bags are a great way to reduce your bag usage! The Lexington Co-op canvas bag is made in New Hampshire. Less fuel and no international flights decrease the impact they have on the environment. The I “heart” my Co-op bags are made with 100% post-consumer recycled material reclaimed from water bottles.
- The bags on rolls in bulk, produce, and meat are made from 100% post-industrial recycled materials, printed with water-based inks and are “Sustainable Green Product” accredited.
- Coffee and soup cups are made of elemental chlorine-free paper and printed with water-based inks and though not compostable due to a plastic lining, they are a better choice than traditional polystyrene.
- Hot Bar/Salad Bar food boxes are fully compostable and are made from unbleached paperboard with water-based adhesives.
- Co+op Napkins are 100% compostable. They have a minimum of 30% post-consumer recycled materials and are printed with water-based inks.
- All of the packaging in our bulk area is recyclable! Many of the container options are made from recycled materials as well. You can be even more green when buying bulk by bringing your own container from home. (Don’t forget to have it weighed at any register before filling up).
Want to learn more about our sustainability efforts? Play the Sustainability Scavenger Hunt in-store. Pick up a test paper at the Customer Service Desk, tour the store, get the answers and enter to win a prize basket. Wednesday April 19-Sunday April 23.