Healthy fats, great coconut flavor and full of nutrients, coconut oil is becoming a pantry staple. Still, as a relatively new ingredient in many kitchens, sometimes it’s tough to know when and where to use it. Our favorite ways to eat coconut oil:
- Coffee Creamer A great way to incorporate a generous spoonful into your daily grind. Stir it into your cup of joe with a splash of cream. Or, froth it up with your blender!
- Spread on Toast Paired with your favorite jam or peanut butter, you may never go back to butter.
- Sweet Potato Topper A pat of coconut oil and a sprinkle of salt will take your sweet potatoes to new heights! Also great for making sweet potato fries.
- Bake It Up Coconut oil substitutes well for butter, shortening or palm oil in many baking recipes. Use 3/4 the quantity of coconut oil as the recipe calls for in butter. (i.e. 1 cup butter = 3/4 cup coconut oil) It creates a crisp crunch in cookies, brownies, etc! Leave it out in recipes like pie crust that call for chilling and cutting in fats.
- Smoothies Drop a spoonful into the blender for a rich, thick boost to your smoothies. The medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs) in coconut oil burn for energy, so your smoothies will fill you and and keep you going.
Do you have another great way to eat coconut oil? Tell us your favorites in the comments!