Use bright red, juicy, sweet and flavorful berries from Weiss Farm in Eden, NY, to make a classic and simply delicious dessert! We have sweet shortcake biscuits by Lexi’s in the store all day every day, but if you’re aching to make some at home, here’s how it’s done.
Lexi’s Shortcake Biscuits
2 cups flour
5 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup very cold butter, chopped or grated
3/4 cup heavy cream
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Keep butter cold. Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Using your hands, incorporate cold butter into the flour mixtureuntil it is just coated by the dry ingredients.
2. Whisk together egg and heavy cream. Add to dry, and continue mixing by hand just until the dough holds together.
3. Place dough on a flat, lightly-floured surface and pat or roll into a rectangle 1 to 2 inches thick. Use a biscuit cutter or floured glass to cut out biscuits, and place on a greased baking tray. Sprinkle with sugar.
4. Bake for 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove and let biscuits cool slightly before serving.
Pick Your Own
For info on pick your own, check out this rundown:
• Call for hours, availability and pricing. Strawberry field safety, season duration and berry quality depend heavily on the weather – it’s a delicate balance. Call or check online before you leave home.
• Sun protection! Strawberries don’t grow in the shade, so slather on the sunscreen and break out a floppy hat.
• Get low. Strawberries grow low to the ground, so be prepared to stoop down or bend over to pick.
• Stop at the ATM Most U-pick farms only accept cash. Plan ahead.
• At home: Get your berries into refrigeration as soon as possible, warm air can cause them to go bad quickly. Don’t wash until you’re ready to eat. (very important!) Fresh berries will last several days if stored properly. Enjoy!
Where to go
Weiss Farm: 7829 E Eden Rd, Eden, NY 14057
Thorpes Organic Family Farm: 12866 Strykersville Rd, East Aurora, NY 14052
(716) 655-4486 | thorpesorganicfamilyfarm.com
Greg’s U-Pick Farm: 9270 Lapp Rd, Clarence Center, NY 14032
(716) 741-4239 | gregsupick.com