What is Member-Ownership?
The Lexington Co-op is a consumer co-operative. This means that it is owned and democratically controlled by the people who shop in the store. Member-owners invest capital in the co-op that is used to purchase new equipment and operate
the store on a daily basis. Member-owners also participate in decision making in the co-op, electing a Board of Directors at the co-op’s annual meeting, and voting on any amendments to the bylaws proposed by the Board.
From Discounts to Dividends
> Read about the creation of an exciting new member-owner benefits package.
7 Benefits of Member-Ownership
> Read our "Become an Owner" brochure.
The pride of being a part owner in a thriving local business!
Everyday Basics: 25 Bulk items at 15% off for Owners
Monthly Specials for owners in produce, Lexi’s Kitchen, health and beauty, supplements and grocery!
Special ordering by the case at 20% below retail
Owner Appreciation Days 2 times a year with extra discounts on that day!
Patronage Dividends: proportional to your purchases during any profitable year
Receive LexTalk, our Newsletter mailed to you - 6 times a year
Vote on policy and elect Lexington's Board of Directors
Communicate with us: via 2 Cent Board, regular Member Forums and by email: email@example.com
Join the Buffalo Co-op Community Federal Credit Union and get free checking and low interest rates!
How Do I Join?
Joining is easy! Simply ask the clerk at the front counter for a ownership application, fill it out and give them your $80 investment. You can also download an application here (225KB PDF) and mail or bring it in with your $80 investment. Or, contact our Membership Coordinator, Joann Tomasulo firstname.lastname@example.org with your mailing address, and we'll send an application to you. If you pay the full $80 all at once, you will receive a free Lexington Co-op shopping bag! You can also choose to pay $10 per month for 8 months. Whichever payment plan you choose, you will receive an orientation folder with information about member ownership.
As a member-owner, you can help the Lexington Coop stay healthy and responsive by:
- Shopping at Lexington whenever possible.
- Encouraging your friends to shop at Lexington and become members.
- Staying informed about our operations through LexTalk, our bi-monthly newsletter, membership and Board meetings, and personal contact with managers.
- Voting for Board members, recommending candidates for the Board, running for the Board, or serving on a committee.
- Sharing your opinions with Lexington staff members. There are several ways to do this including:
- Filling out 2¢ suggestion forms – one key way managers learn about what members think.
- Give a staff member a compliment! Tell them what a great job they are doing making your Co-op a great place to shop!
Board of Directors
Co-op owners are always encouraged to attend Board meetings to see how the Co-op is governed. Please email email@example.com if you would like to attend a meeting and to confirm the date and location.